Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Endure It Ironman Camp

Endure It Ironman Camp 2012

"Give yourself permission to enjoy and to relax into a powerful, authentic focus.   Feel how great it feels to calmly perform at your highest level." Ralph S. Morston


I wasn't sure how this weekend was going to go at first.  But after each workout was complete I mentally felt better and better.  Friday we arrived at noon and took off for the first ride by 1:00.   We headed out to the course for 67 miles.  I learned of a new detour we had to get use to which add a couple more hills...the challenge is the rolling hills when you get out of Verona and the big 3 which are by Old Sauk hill to Timber Lane (Timber is my least favorite) it's very steep for too long.  I actually would rather to Old Sauk 3 times and avoid Timber Lane.   We ended the ride in the rain at 6pm.  But the time Mary, Bird and John Jones got back from him being lost we were pulling out for dinner at 6:45.  Overall the spirits were really good on the course.  Ken Merritt was very positive at the end when we weren't sure on the last few turns.   
Endure It gave us a Zoot backpack to keep and use as our SAG bag.  SAG is for an emergency bag or also know as your bag you can ask to grab at the half way point in 112miles.  I used it on Saturday's ride for my bike drink mix, water & Nutter Butters.  Yum!  Something about peanut butter I can't get enough.  My SAG bag also had sunscreen, Advil, peanut butter & jelly sandwich, and body glide.  I'll add to that on race day.

Saturday we headed out to bike the full course, we got in 104 miles from our hotel on John Nolen road.  We all went at our own pace and it worked out that John Jones and I stayed together.   The coaches would approach each of us and ask how we were and helped us climb up the hills.  Gear changing technique is critical to survive.   I'm happy with the comfortable pace we made it through the day.  Overall it took 6:35 for 104 miles.  Once I got back to the hotel I put my bike away and headed up for a 4 mile run.  On the bike I was worried about this...but once I got out and did it I was fine.  It's funny how your mind plays tricks on you.  This whole thing is so mental!  I can't tell how how excited I was getting back from that day...I called my family to tell them how great it went.  I can only imagine how fun that will be with the crowds & seeing my family and friends. 

Sunday I got up and decided to venture out on the 13miles on my own. I really wanted to find Observatory Hill on campus (which is part of the course).  Luckily a couple locals plus two training ladies showed me the way.  I can't believe how hilly that campus is.  I was so happy to find it and walk up it like everyone suggests. 

My quads were not happy as I ran down campus and back to John Nolen drive.  But at that point I thought, "Ok I'm almost done, cold bath and then heading home to see the fam"

Today being July 31st I had another big milestone to crush.  Lynn and I swam 4200 yards, and I was so ready to get out.  Thank goodness I had someone with me saying "No, you can do this" I really takes staying mentally strong.  Lately I feel like I'm going in a million directions, not enough down time.  And with Kindergarten starting for Elizabeth there is loads of emotions.   After my swim today I took her to her Kindergarten assessment.  It's just crazy to think that she'll be walking to school everyday and being there. 

I'm sure this Ironman will be emotional...I was telling my book club about how Ironman goes and how I got to this race.  It's crazy to think how far I've come with cancer, kids, & home life.   But what gets us all through each day is being positive and doing what you enjoy!  Life's too short to not make the most our time here and just live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment