Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Over the weekend we had a family vacation to Door County where I did the Half Ironman race.  My parents boated from Chicago to Door County to stay at the Egg Harbor marina.  We stayed at Alpine Resort.  The resort had to be over 75years old.  As Adam put it, "This is great, it's a classic German Wisconsin resort"
 We got up there Friday in about 4 1/2 hours, checked in and went right to the beach.  The kids loved playing the sand.  I started getting nervous about the cold water temp of 60 degrees.   After some fun in the sun Adam & I went to Murphy Park to check into the race.   Saturday they offered a Sprint Triathlon and kids race.   When we got back to our hotel I made myself get in the bay at Egg Harbor and swim for 20mins.  It did warm up after a few minutes.  Luckily by Sunday they said the temp was 74 degrees.     On Sunday the day of the race I strapped my backpack on my back and biked to the transition area from Alpine which was about a 15min bike ride.   Did my warm up and walked to the start to find the family.   Door County is great for family because the spectators can be right on the sandy beach, there is a park and lots of food & coffee.   Its very easy to get around Door County.   We biked down to Sturgeon Bay & back for the course.   The 13mile run went from Murphy Park to Egg Harbor and back.  There were 1-2 killer hills were I met a chatty man named Dan.  He talked all the way to the finish.  I did mostly listening as he talked about the Ironman Wisconsin course and how to pace it.    

I finished the race with a time of 5:45:53.  13th in my age group of of 50 of 30-34 females.  Not my best time but at least another good day under my belt for September 9th!

My sister is about to order the T-Shirts for Ironman Wisconsin, so let me know asap if you want one.  Thanks again for all the support everyone has given me.  This has been a great journey with 6 weeks to go from Sunday.   Endure It is hosting the Madison camp Fri-Sunday this weekend which I'll be at.  I am nervous for the amount of training on the course it will bring.  Next week I'll post some pictures & tell you how it went.  

Love,
Diana

1 comment:

  1. So great to see you at Door County - and glad your training is going well for IMWI - I will be up there at WI cheering for you! :)

    ReplyDelete